Pregnancy and parenting can be really overwhelming for men. It is totally an unfamiliar area and everything from childbirth to taking care of a baby freaks out many new dads and dads-to-be. Here’s a list of five best books for expecting dads:
- The Expectant Father by Armin A. Brott and Jennifer Ash: The Expectant Father is the best-selling pregnancy guide for men, trusted by millions of dads-to-be and their partners. This reassuring month-by-month overview gives you the facts and advice you need to understand your baby’s development, support your partner, and prepare for the joys and challenges of fatherhood. It concludes with two special sections: one on labor and delivery, and the other covering the first few months after your baby’s arrival.
- Don’t Just Stand There by Elissa Stein and Jon Lichtenstein: Written by a husband and wife team, this guidebook outlines everything an expectant father needs to know to navigate the big day. Dads get clear direction on what to bring, how to calm and soothe, what to say and, more important, what to definitely not say. A chapter on the stages of labor makes it easy to track what’s happening when, while blank lists provide space for mom to fill in her personal preferences ahead of time. With witty illustrations and confidence-inspiring advice throughout, it’s an essential for the dads to be.
- Home Game: An Accidental Guide to Fatherhood by Michael Lewis: When Michael Lewis became a father, he decided to keep a written record of what actually happened immediately after the birth of each of his three children. This book is that record. But it is also something else: maybe the funniest, most unsparing account of ordinary daily household life ever recorded, from the point of view of the man inside. The remarkable thing about this story isn’t that Lewis is so unusual. It’s that he is so typical. The only wonder is that his wife has allowed him to publish it
- What to Expect When your Wife is Expanding: A Reassuring Month-by-Month Guide for the Father-to-Be, Whether He Wants Advice or Not by Thomas Hill: What to Expect When Your Wife Is Expanding is packed with information, advice, and attitude distinctively for guys. Originally conceived as a little parody, just something funny and helpful for the expectant man, the book is now a classic gift, passed knowingly from one generation of first-time papas to the next. With this lighthearted, month-by-month instruction manual on the care and nurture of a pregnant wife—the main role of expectant dads—he’ll handle all the important milestones and topics: what not to say during the three phases of labor; what to buy, how many, and when; maintaining work-life balance; maintaining work-life-wife balance.
- Dad to Dad: Parenting Like a Pro by David L. Hill: Dr Hill is a dad himself and a pediatrician in practice. Inside this practical yet humorous book, dads and dads-to-be will find helpful information on topics such as -Infant and child development -Baby basics- crying, sleeping, pooping, and eating -Everyday illnesses and what to look for – fevers, ear infections, colds, stomach bugs, and sore throats -A guide to vaccines, when to get them, and just what they’re for -Sound advice to cope with toddlerhood and beyond After reading Dad to Dad, fathers will feel more comfortable about fatherhood and have answers to day-to-day parenting issues at their fingertips.